Slicked back hair continues to be one of the most popular men’s hairstyles. With a modern slicked back haircut, guys combine a low or high fade with long hair on top to create a stylish and cool hairstyle. Some men even prefer to get a slicked back undercut, a variation of the hairstyle that offers even more contrast than the slick back fade.
If you like slicked back hairstyles for men and want to learn the right way to slick back your hair, this guide will teach you everything you need to know about the style. From how to slick back thick or curly hair to whether you should pick an undercut or fade haircut to how to style and get the look, this guide will put you up-to-date with the latest trend in the world of men’s hair. Here are the best slick back hairstyles to get this year!
- 1 What Is Slicked Back Hair?
- 2 How To Get Slicked Back Hair
- 3 How To Slick Back Hair
- 4 Styling A Slick Back
- 5 Best Slicked Back Styles
- 5.1 Slick Back Fade
- 5.2 Slicked Back Undercut
- 5.3 Modern Slick Back
- 5.4 High Fade Slick Back
- 5.5 Low Fade Slick Back
- 5.6 Long Slicked Back Hair
- 5.7 Short Slicked Back Hair
- 5.8 Classic Slick Back
- 5.9 Combed Back
- 5.10 Long Slicked Back Undercut with Thick Beard
- 5.11 Low Taper Fade with Textured Slick Back
- 5.12 Low Undercut Fade with Textured Slick Back
- 5.13 Slicked Back Undercut Fade
- 5.14 High Skin Taper Fade with Thick Slicked Back Hair
- 5.15 Undercut Slick Back and Line Up with Beard
- 5.16 Thick Textured Slick Back Fade
- 5.17 High Fade + Shape Up + Thick Slick Back
- 5.18 Brushed Back Pomp + Taper Fade
- 5.19 Low Drop Fade + Line Up + Shiny Slicked Back Top
- 5.20 Long Slicked Back Undercut Fade + Edge Up
- 5.21 Wavy Slicked Back Hair + Bald Fade
- 5.22 High Undercut Fade + Thick Textured Slick Back
What Is Slicked Back Hair?
Slicking back hair is one way to style a “short sides with long top” hairstyle. Similar to the quiff and pompadour, slicked back hair involves applying product (e.g. pomade) to give your hair a sleek, shiny look as it combed back.
Some guys like to add volume or texture to their long slicked hairstyle, while others prefer their slicked back hair to sit flat. Short slicked back hair can be easy to style and maintain, but long hair can offer versatility and styling options.
The slick back is retro, dating back to the 1950’s greaser hairstyles, but has recently become a popular style after hipsters and celebrities brought the haircut back.
Whether you have short or long slicked back hair, the overall look is classy and formal, yet sexy and cool. It is definitely one of the best men’s haircuts around today.
How To Get Slicked Back Hair
Most modern hairstyles that are long on top, with around 3 to 5 inches of hair, look great slicked back. And you might be wondering if you have the right face shape, hair type, or even hair texture to get slicked back hair.
Fortunately, all face shapes (round, square, oval, etc.) and hair types (thick, thin, straight, curly or wavy) look great with the haircut and how you style it is completely up to you. Guys with curly or extremely wavy hair may want to try another style since unruly hair won’t respond to product as easily.
Moreover, the slicked back haircut is versatile and easy, so the most important thing to have is some high-quality styling product to slick back your hair with. We recommend choosing a firm hold product if you have thick, coarse hair.
Lastly, you can get a slick back with a textured or shiny finish depending on whether your pomade is high or low shine. For a classic slick back hairstyle, use a shiny high-hold pomade; otherwise, a matte pomade, wax or clay is ideal for a natural finish.
Finally, guys will want a quality comb and hair dryer to style their slicked back hair. For those with wavy hair, blow drying your hair with product in it may help the styling process.
Depending on how well your hair responds to product, you may need hairspray in order to tame frizzy hairs. For a looser, more natural slick back, just use some light pomade and a comb.
How To Slick Back Hair
If you love the hairstyle and want to learn how to get slicked back hair, styling the haircut is not as difficult as you may think. For those with straight hair, the process is straightforward; but the curlier and thicker your hair is, the more challenging it may be.
If you have curly hair but really want to try the slick style, straightening your hair first may help you achieve the sleek look required for the comb back hairstyle. Otherwise, getting thick hair to slick back is all about working in some pomade and combing back your hair until its styled the way you want.
For details on the best way to get your hair slicked back, follow these directions.
- Begin with towel dried hair which is still slightly damp. This will ensure your hair is responsive to styling yet help your hair product hold.
- Scoop a small amount of pomade and apply throughout your hair. Using less at first is a good idea, as you can always add more pomade later. Also, more product will create a sleek, shiny look while less will keep your hair textured with some volume.
- Next, comb your hair back. Start at the top of your forehead and move the comb towards the back of your head in one smooth motion.
- For thicker or wavier hair, blow dry backwards as you comb. This will help to give the style more hold.
- Apply hairspray if necessary to control any stray hairs.
Styling A Slick Back
Experimentation with the styling process may be necessary if your hair is very curly or thick. For example, there are a few other ways to slick back thick hair. Adding more product after combing can help to give more hold to the style, and combing throughout the day is a great way to keep the slicked back hairstyle in place.
Ultimately, the slick back fade and undercut hairstyles are simple yet classic, making them the perfect haircut for guys who don’t want to spend hours styling their hair.
Best Slicked Back Styles
To appreciate the full versatility and retro aesthetic of slicked back hairstyles, take a look at this gallery of the best slicked back styles. We’ve compiled as many different types of slicked back hair as possible, so if you’re having trouble slicking back long thick or curly hair or can’t decide between a low or high fade slick back, you’ll find great examples below.