The mohawk fade haircut is popular for its edgy, punk rock vibe. While there are many faded mohawk styles for men to choose from, not all mohawk hairstyles are extreme. By adding a high fade (or taper) to the sides, the mohawk can be made gentler. For example, a tapered mohawk can be the perfect combination of a faux hawk (fohawk) mixed with a traditional mohawk haircut, making some modern variations less edgy and more suitable for everyday wear.
If you’re looking for the best mohawks to try but don’t want to shave or buzz your head, the men’s mohawk fade may be the perfect style for you. Check out our guide to the top short and long mohawk fades to get a cool new hairstyle this year.
- 1 What Is The Mohawk Fade?
- 2 How To Cut The Faded Mohawk
- 3 How To Style A Mohawk Fade
- 4 Top Men’s Mohawk Fade Hairstyles To Try
- 5 Wide Mohawk
- 6 Curly Mid Fade Mohawk
- 7 High Fade Mohawk with Beard
- 8 Blonde Mohawk Fade
- 9 Wide Curly Mohawk with Fade and Hair Design
- 10 Low Fade Mohawk
- 11 Short Mohawk Fade
- 12 Long Mohawk Fade with Beard
- 13 Long Wavy Faded Mohawk with Beard
- 14 Short Temple Fade Mohawk
- 15 Thick Mohawk Fade with Edge Up and Beard
- 16 Long Faded Mohawk with Design and Beard
- 17 Spiky Faded Mohawk Hairstyle
- 18 Curly Mohawk Fade
- 19 High Fade Mohawk with Tail
- 20 Short and Wide Mohawk Fade
What Is The Mohawk Fade?
The mohawk fade is a variation of the classic mohawk with a high fade on the sides. With a high fade mohawk, guys are able to maintain the high-contrast hairstyle yet avoid the shaved head look. Furthermore, the versatility of the look means it can be combined with any style of mohawk, whether you have curly, wavy or straight thick hair and want a short, long, flat or wide mohawk.
Finally, one of the best parts about choosing the faded mohawk for men is that the long hair on top can be styled in a variety of ways. Whether you prefer tousled, loose hair or a combed over look, the mohawk fade haircut is a cool men’s hairstyle that offers many options.
How To Cut The Faded Mohawk
To get a mohawk fade haircut, guys will need hair long enough on the top to spike up. For best results, we recommend at least 2 to 3 inches of hair for a short mohawk fade or 3 to 5 inches for a long mohawk. How high you want your spiked hair to go is a personal preference.
To cut a mohawk fade, you’ll need to ask your barber for a high fade on the sides. You will also need to decide how wide and long you want your mohawk to be. For example, some guys want a long mohawk that extends down the back of their head. If you aren’t sure about the length and width of your mohawk, ask your hairstylist for their opinion. To avoid complications with a bad haircut, we recommend you bring a few pictures of your favorite faded mohawks to show your stylist.
To do a mohawk fade, your barber will start by tapering the sides. A temple or high skin fade is the closest you can get to a traditional mohawk, but feel free to choose a #1, #2 or #3 clipper guard size for a longer fade. Be sure to specify how short you’d like your fade and how high or low you’d like to start. After your mohawk is faded, your stylist will cut the hair on top to your preferred length.
How To Style A Mohawk Fade
Styling your mohawk fade is fairly easy. To start, you’ll need some pomade or wax and a comb. With a longer and wider faded mohawk that looks like a faux hawk (fohawk), we recommend you choose a stronger hold hair product capable of keeping your hair in place. For a short mohawk, any quality men’s styling product will work.
When figuring out how to style your mohawk, the main thing to consider is how you would like the crest to look. To do a mohawk fade:
- Begin with towel-dried, slightly damp hair.
- Apply your styling product thoroughly to make sure the crest stays up and doesn’t flop over.
- Now comb or use your fingers to push all your hair to the middle of your head. Keep brushing to add volume.
- For a firm hold, use a blow dryer on a high-heat setting to dry your hair while directing it to the center of your head. If you prefer a textured look, run your hands through your mohawk afterwards.
Because a mohawk fade hairstyle can be styled in many ways, feel free to create a unique look with your hair.
Top Men’s Mohawk Fade Hairstyles To Try
With so many cool faded mohawk styles available this year, the possibilities are endless. From tapered necklines to beards, there are a number of ways to get the mohawk fade. To help you find the best new men’s mohawk hairstyles to try in 2017, we’ve compiled the following pictures. Check out these awesome styles and save your favorites for your next visit to the barbershop.