The faux hawk haircut, also known as the fohawk, is easily one of the coolest men’s hairstyles in 2018. And there are so many trendy ways to get and style a faux hawk. In particular, the faux hawk fade is a simple yet versatile hairstyle that not only looks stylish and modern, but allows you to try plenty of other styles. Plus, if you love the mohawk but don’t want to shave your head, the men’s fohawk fade haircut may be the hairstyle you’ve always dreamed of.
Whether you want a long or short faux hawk, read on to learn about the best fohawk styles of the year. From the undercut faux hawk to the frohawk for black men, this guide will help you choose the hottest cut and style for your straight, wavy or curly hair!
- 1 What Is The Faux Hawk Hairstyle?
- 2 Mohawk vs Faux Hawk
- 3 How To Style A Faux Hawk
- 4 The Faux Hawk Fade
- 5 Top Faux Hawk Styles
- 5.1 Faux Hawk Fade
- 5.2 Undercut Faux Hawk
- 5.3 Short Faux Hawk
- 5.4 Long Faux Hawk
- 5.5 David Beckham Faux Hawk
- 5.6 Frohawk Fade
- 5.7 Undercut with Wavy Fohawk
- 5.8 Thick Textured Messy Fohawk
- 5.9 Layered Fohawk Fade with Beard
- 5.10 Spiked Faux Hawk
- 5.11 Fohawk Taper Fade
- 5.12 Textured Faux Hawk with Short Sides
- 5.13 High Skin Fade with Short Fohawk
- 5.14 Full Faux Hawk with Low Fade
- 5.15 Burst Fade Fohawk with Line Up
- 5.16 High Taper Fade with Fohawk
- 5.17 Short Faux Hawk with Fade and Hair Design
- 5.18 Textured Fohawk with Beard
- 5.19 Curly Faux Hawk Fade Edge Up with Beard
- 5.20 High Skin Fade with Shape Up and Fohawk Top
What Is The Faux Hawk Hairstyle?
From the French word meaning “false”, the “faux” in this cut’s name suggests that you’ll be imitating something – in this case, a mohawk. The faux hawk is a toned-down take on the easily recognizable mohawk, a cut in which both sides of the head are shaven clean, leaving just a strip of long hair along the center. The fohawk is characterized by this same distinctive strip of longer hair, but allows for you to leave some hair on the sides (the “hawk”), which isn’t as long as it would be in the traditional cut.
The best thing about faux hawk haircuts is that you can incorporate a fade or undercut instead of a shaved head. And with the fohawk fade, guys are given the option to occasionally change their hairstyle. For example, if a long faux hawk is too aggressive for the office, you can simply change your style to a comb over fade, slick back, or textured quiff. Ultimately, trendy faux hawk styles provide men a number of different looks.
Mohawk vs Faux Hawk
The primary difference between a mohawk and faux hawk lies in how extreme the hair is cut. While mohawks allow for little to no hair on the sides, faux hawks have short or medium-length hair on the sides that make the “hawk” distinguishable. This is where the fohawk taper fade comes in.
Another notable difference is how thick the central wave of hair needs to be. A traditional mohawk requires a thin strip of long hair, while the faux hawk can get away with a thick or thin width.
How To Style A Faux Hawk
There are many ways to style a faux hawk. For starters, you’ll definitely need a good quality hair styling product such as pomade or wax. To get and style a faux hawk, you’ll want to:
- Start with clean, towel-dried hair.
- Apply hair wax or pomade evenly throughout your hair, working the product in completely.
- Depending on the type of faux hawk you want to style, this next step may vary. For textured volume, use a blow dryer to direct your hair up and towards the center of your head. For a more pointed fohawk, use your hands to push your hair together.
- Finally, add more product if you need to strengthen the hold.
The key to styling a faux hawk is to experiment and find a style that works for the top. Some guys like to style their hawk in a particular direction, while others let both sides lift and meet in the middle. If you’re tired of doing a fohawk hairstyle, you can even slick all your hair back for a different hairstyle that day.
The Faux Hawk Fade
If you haven’t yet been to the barber, you should also think about how to cut the sides of your hair. If you’re looking for a cool, low-maintenance option but don’t want to shave your hair off, the faux hawk fade is the best haircut for you. Just pick a low or high fade and a suitable length to get it buzzed to. We recommend a high skin fade to create a sharp contrast to the hair on top.
Top Faux Hawk Styles
Your hair is a particularly defining element of your appearance, so it’s of no surprise that many men think long and hard to pick a haircut that is both exciting and appropriate. The faux hawk is a modern hairstyle that guys and girls will love.
As with any cut, the best thing to do now is to take a good look at how others are wearing the faux hawk and see what elements you might borrow in creating your own hairstyle. Here are some examples of short and long fohawk haircuts that we’ve selected just for you to use as inspiration.